TACO-SEASONED FLUKE WITH CHUNKY EVERYTHING SALSA
By Felicia Scocozza.
Here’s a tasty and satisfying meal that’s easy to bring together. As the the name implies with this particular dish, the salsa incorporates an impressive array of ingredients. Feel free to omit any you don’t have or don’t like while at the same time adding anything you think we may have forgotten. If grilling fresh local corn during the summer or fall months, be sure to set an extra ear aside for use in this delicious treat.
This recipe can be served over rice or inside of a soft taco. If serving in a taco, cut the fish pieces smaller and omit the wine to keep the pieces crisp.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
Ingredients: Chunky Everything Salsa
- I cup of cherry and/or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado cut into cubes
- 1 medium-sized mango cut into cubes
- 1/3-cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds & ribs removed
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 ear of roasted corn cut from cob or 1 cup thawed frozen corn
- 1-1/2 lb. fluke fillets or similar light fleshed fish like sea bass (about 4 fillets cut into 4- to 6-inch sections)
- 1/3-cup of your favorite taco seasoning or combine the ingredients below:
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ to 1 cups white wine
- Your favorite cooked rice (like cilantro lime rice – optional)
- Prepare the salsa first by mixing together all salsa ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Coat fluke fillets with taco seasoning.
- Heat olive oil & butter on medium-high in a cast iron skillet.
- Once olive oil and butter have melted, place fillets in skillet. Sear on first side for 4 minutes, then flip and add wine. Reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Plate fish over cilantro lime rice or similar rice of your choosing.
- Squeeze lime over fish and sprinkle chopped cilantro if desired. Top with chilled salsa and enjoy.
Note: Unlike baking, cooking is not an exact science. Readers are encouraged to adjust and modify these recipes to their own tastes.
By Tom Schlichter
Use the LIKE button below to get notifications about new articles in your Facebook news feed!